June 16, 2007

Translation: โลกด้านที่หันหลังให้ดวงอาทิตย์

I had such fun with yesterday's book review that I'm going to post another translation today from the same book. This time I'm going to post the Thai text of the story, too, to give bilingual readers a glimpse into my translation style. My hope is that this will spark some discussion about my technique and word choice, as well as entertain.

The Big Tree
It was a big tree, many armspans around, in the middle of a clearing alongside the Bangkok-Bang Pa-In highway. He liked it immediately. He told his wife, "This is where we should retire. Build a house under the tree. It's so cool and pleasant."
"I can just picture it. We could build a glass house, so we could see always see the tree."
"Yeah, I like that idea."
They bought the lot from a farmer, without arguing over the price. The hired a contractor to help clean up the lot and build a fence.
On the day of the ownership transfer, the contractor called them.
"I've finished clearing the lot. It's really beautiful. Oh! And I went ahead and cut down that big overgrown tree for you, too."

ไม้ใหญ่
มันเป็นต้นไม้ใหญ่ขนาดหลายคนโอบ ขึ้นกลางที่โล่งริมทางสายกรุงเทพฯ-บางปะอิน เขาชอบมันทันที เขาบอกภรรยาว่า "ที่นี่น่าจะเป็นที่ที่เราเกษียณ สร้างบ้านใต้ต้นไม้ ร่มรื่นมาก"
"ฉันเห็นภาพเลยค่ะ เราอาจจะสร้างบ้านกระจก จะได้มองเห็นต้นไม้ตลอดเวลา"
"ดี ผมชอบไอเดียนี้"
พวกเขาซื้อที่ดินผืนนั้นต่อมาจากชาวสวนโดยไม่เกี่ยงราคา เขาว่าจ้างผู้รับเหมาไปช่วยทำความสะอาดที่ดินและก่อสร้างรั้วโปร่ง
ในวันที่โอนที่ดินนั้น ผู้รับเหมาโทรศัพท์มาหาเขา
"ผมเคลียร์ที่ให้เรียบร้อยแล้วครับ พี่ สวยเชียว อ้อ! ผมถือโอกาสโค่นต้นไม้ใหญ่รกที่ต้นนั้นให้ด้วยแล้วครับ"

Win has a footnote stating that this is based on a true story, too. What luck. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rikker, it's been awhile. Sure, good translation, I have no improvements to suggest. -Peter/montrii

    ReplyDelete