June 11, 2007

Etymologist 2: คำกร่อน (ต่อ)

When I wrote the previous installment of Etymologist, I didn't look too hard for the first batch of คำกร่อน. In the last several days since I started looking, though, they've been jumping out at me. Coupled with some Googling, I have quite a few new words to share.

There are several unstressed, prefixed words that seem to be commonly reduced:

ตัว > ตะ

ตัวขาบ > ตะขาบ = centipede
ตัวเข้ > ตะเข้ = crocodile (จระเข้ is the formal term--I'm still not sure where จร- [จอ-ระ] comes from; the musical instrument จะเข้ is so called, I think, because it looks like a crocodile's back--this would appear to be a reduced form of จระเข้; and there's also ไอ้เข้, which I think is used more upcountry)
ตัวเข็บ > ตะเข็บ = a kind of small reptile (also called จะเข็บ, interestingly)

ต้น > ตะ
ต้นไคร้ > ตะไคร้ = lemon grass
ต้นเคียน > ตะเคียน = a tree in the dipterocarpaceae family
ต้นคร้อ > ตะคร้อ = soapberry, in the sapindaceae family; fruit traditionally used to make soap

ตา > ตะ
ตาวัน > ตะวัน = sun
ตาปู > ตะปู = nail

สาย > สะ
สายดือ > สะดือ = navel
สายเอว > สะเอว = waist (เอว alone is still common usage, of course)

อัน > อะ
อันไร > อะไร = what
อันหนึ่ง > อนึ่ง [อะ-หนึ่ง] = furthermore, for another thing

ฉัน > ฉะ
ฉันนั้น > ฉะนั้น = therefore, like that
ฉันนี้ > ฉะนี้ = like this, such as this
ฉันไหน > ไฉน [ฉะำ-ไหน] = how, why, for what reason

(We also already saw หมาก > มะ last time.)

Another source of คำกร่อน is reduplicated words (คำซ้ำ):
ริกริก > ระริก
ยิ้มยิ้ม > ยะยิ้ม
ฉับฉับ > ฉะฉับ
ฉาดฉาด > ฉะฉาด
ครืนครืน > คะครืน

Other คำกร่อน of interest:
พยาน ("witness") comes from ผู้ญาณ, meaning a person with knowledge.
จะ, the future tense/irrealis marker, is from จัก, which is still common in poetic usage.

I'm not quite done with คำกร่อน. In the next installment of Etymologist, I'll explore some pronouns and sentence particles of similar "eroded" origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment